Monday, January 19, 2009

I pity the rich folk and their sanitized ways....

As we walk back toward the next complex, I note that you reflect on our conversation about the artist and his "DEAD" sign. Good. That is what I am trying to accomplish. To try and make you think. To make you more aware of what is really going on. But my work here is far from done. You see, I am in a transition stage and I am trying to prevent someone from filling the spot misery has here for someone. If I can eliminate the life in that chair misery has caned, then I have accomplished something greater that any education can provide. I will be moving on soon, me and my soul mate and our children. We are going on to the next phase in our lives. That phase has so much more to offer than what we have here and we can only hope for that faint glimmer of hope for the others. For misery loves company and it will suck you in like a black hole and keep you here if you are not careful. Just ask some of the true locals. Those who do not have a home so to speak. (You can see those images by following this link. Thanks The Sun News, you do more than just provide a few jobs and some news, you make a statement every now and again! Photo Project: Through the Eyes of the Homeless. http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/static/weeklysurge/flash/coverSlides011509/index.html)

Upon getting to the bridge, I ask you to take note of something that I like to call the yin/yang of the 'hood. Yes, you are looking at two dumpsters on either side of the same street. The ironic thing about it is that the people with the empty dumpster choose to continue to fill the other one. For what purpose? If they stick to their side of the street, they keep the trash from overflowing and keep their neighborhood and neighbors complex clean. Our owners only own one building on the right side of the street but they own all on the left and still, they say nothing. They never do. Apparently, they don't care.














Doesn't make any sense does it? No, not really. Just something else to be angry about. Nearby, there are nearly 80 children that get on and off the bus five days a week and have to walk by this filth and learn that this is just the way things are. They become numb to the nasty way things are around here and come to believe that things are not much better anywhere else. I am sorry but, mine are going to know better. They are going to have better. This is not what their future is and every one of them know it. I only wish the feeling would spread. Here is hoping right? Na, this city is not going to let that happen. They are too busy worrying about the next large hotel or the next upscale community to remember that it is the people who are left in neighborhoods like these are the ones who made this city what it is. These so called "poor" people are also going to be the glue that holds this place together when the snotty rich people are too good to work menial jobs for a living. Maybe it is because they forgot where they come from or had that silver spoon all along. I pity them. Their antiseptic way of life has poisoned their view of the way the world really is and it is making them step on the ones who have real lives, who show every day they have been alive in their faces and feels it in their hearts. It is we who pity the rich who never give a passing glance to the rest of us. How sad that is.

But I digress...lets continue with a stroll through some parts of town. Other things I want you to see are soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment