Saturday, April 5, 2014

Reclusivity is now possible.

I know there are people that are agoraphobic, homophobic, and all other phobias associated with having to leave the house.  I have come to learn over the past few years that it is quite possible to live recluse, shut off from the rest of the world, and NEVER have to leave the comfort of your own home. It is quite scary to think that there are truly people who accomplish this, never getting fresh air or leaving the confines of the home they have secluded their self into thus, alienating the rest of the world. For what end is that a means? Being a WAH professional myself, I get great excitement at the thought of leaving the house if even for just a few moments. Stepping out to feel the sun warm my face for a few moments is something I look forward to on occasion as I do not leave the house much as it is. I cannot imagine how the ones who NEVER go out their doors must feel.

People all over this country are earning their degrees and even going to public school from home. They are working from home and paying all of their bills either online or via the phone.  They pay their bills, read the paper, order pizza, etc. through the electronic devices that most of us have found to be an extension of their person.  You even have places that will deliver your groceries to you should you want to place them online or you can have Schwans deliver your meals or simply order out every single day.  Even weight loss groups will send you your meals for the month and those that are on disability are afforded the opportunity to have their meals delivered to them by a company two to three times a month. There are personal assistance and home health organizations that will come to your home and help you maintian your health.  Maids can even come and clean your house for you. Why would anyone ever want to leave?  I will tell you. Personal interaction is what humans need and you need to be careful if you are traveling along the line of a recluse.



What a life that is.  Too bad that Spongebob didnt realize that when he decided the safest place was indoors.



I find it disturbing that the possibility exists that we can live that way.  There are grocery stores that deliver.  You can also have pizza, sandwiches, and chinese food delivered.  There is mail service, UPS, DHL, and Fed Ex.  You can certainly shop and pay your bills online and talk to everyone via the phone, cell or internet.  Why would a technology geek ever want to leave the house!  I once seen a movie where people would just get up and plug themselves into a machine and mentally will a different version of themselves through the world.  What I found interesting is that, the real people were in horrible condition.  They were stiff, pale, and wholly unaware when they unplugged themselves.  While I love my work from home and the ability to pay bills online, I try to get out of the house at least once a day so I don't hate myself.  If I ever go for an extended period without at least sun on my face, I feel like a moldy mozarella ball. Ick!

I do know people that are like that and only leave the house to check their PO boxes. 


Ok, so, I found this in my drafts and decided to publish it only because something undone truly drives my OCD to a terrible itch.  The thought process for this one is simply not there but it was a good start.


What do YOU think?

No comments:

Post a Comment