Saturday, February 21, 2009

Because your heart can hear a true Harley, and my heart hears the H.Davidson legacy crying...


Ok, I must speak up and put my half a cent worth out there. Everyone in this area seems to know what is the best when it comes to Myrtle Beach and the future of the bike rallies. It seems inevitable that they are going to continue to some degree in the near future. This may reign especially true if they reopen Hard Rock Park (which happens to be a topic for another day. I have a lot to say about that.) At any rate, I have always had rituals with my kids during bike week. Especially that of the Harley rallies. I am a big fan of a Harley Davidson Motorcycle and that will never change. Honda often tries to imitate but they will never even come close. My daughter once asked how can you tell the difference. So, I took her out to show her. When we came up to a stoplight there was a honda trying to mack and I told her to close her eyes and listen and feel with her heart. She put her hand up to her chest and when the Honda took off at the green of the light, she opened here eyes unimpressed. However, when we came to a light where there was a REAL Harley, I asked her to do the same. She did and after that lovely machine floated away up the street, she opened here eyes in awe. "Mommy! I felt it in my heart!" That was one of those wonderful moments that mothers have from time to time. Yes dear, you can hear a Harley with your heart!



One thing that I will miss and I am sure my kids will miss it too is when we go to McDonalds to get breakfast during (both) bike weeks and count the motorcycles that go up Kings Highway. We have a good time doing that. We talk, laugh and ooh and ahh over the new styles of bikes and cars going up and down the highway. It is something that I look forward to every year. BUT, thanks to "the snotty white folks" of Myrtle Beach City Council, they are trying to push those touching moments into the trash with everything else that they believe is not good for the beach.



What they fail to realize is that they are hurting those that live here the most. This area was built on the blood sweat and tears of the common man, more famously known as the lower middle class or the "poor" people. We poor people depend on the business that occurs during the 91 days of summer as well as the few events that occure right before and after that summer. We depend on that because most of the heavy business pays our bills and puts food on our tables. Not many of us have the know how or are able to put money away for the winter month as we all live check to check and we tighten our belts severely during the winter months. Sometimes more than is comfortable.



It seems to me that they are trying to make this place something that it is not. They are also trying to do it way to quickly. The rest of the world is not aware of what is going on in this little podunk resort area and when they come, they are coming for what they know and if it is not there, you have provided nothing to take its place. Take the Pavillion for instance. Oh yea, you have taken it down to the ground and put some remnants of it over at Broadway, woo hoo for you. I went to the "Nostalgia Park" the other day and seen the signs like it is a museum and that of which Myrtle Beach is so proud. Who cares about that now, look at how many memories were destroyed with that becoming a field of grass and how many people were put out of business there. It is not the same that it was. You tried to replace it with Hard Rock Park and you will definitely get all my hot air on that one but not right now. That was a bust also. So here we are, a butt ton of motels and restaurants and 4 malls. Whoopdedoo, Myrtle Beach, Whoopdeedo.



Then you try to jack up the cost of everything to where it takes both income earners of each household to make nearly fourteen dollars an hour to survive (barely) and you provide no jobs to compensate for that. While I still have my job, I am very grateful to have had one that was actually busy for the winter month. To be honest, I did not even know that this kind of job existed. I thank the unseen beings daily that I do have to get up and go to work in the morning. At least while it still lasts. Unfortunately, because of things beyond my control, my days may be numbered. That is not fair either. The common, poor WOMAN loses out again. So much for getting ahead, huh? The following picture conveys my sentiments exactly:




This particular business closed its doors in 2008 due to the fact that Myrtle Beach had formally announced no Bike Rallies for the 2009 season. They had been there for years and paid all their bills during the 2 Harley rallies each year. With there being no rallies, there would be no business. So they assumed that they cut their losses and walked away. Now, all of a sudden, there is supposed to be some sort of compromise and maybe a rally is going to happen after all?!?!?! What kind of crap is that? Wishy washy rich people who are seeing that they may have made a mistake after all when they closed their ears to what the people really wanted. See how a few whiny babies ruin it for everyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment