Monday, February 9, 2009

A final thought on our "stroll."

While we are standing there regarding the monstrosity before us, at our feet is something that could be and could not be. It is a blue bandanna. I cringe from it because what it represents has attempted to come to close to my family. Gang violence is not necessarily a new phenomenon but it is something very real and until it is brought to your attention vividly, you do not realize how close it can come.

You always hear that it is only in the big cities and what not but it seems to have permeated everywhere. It is in every crack of American society and is not likely to be eradicated...EVER. What I hope is that the discarded cloth at our feet belongs to some homeless person who has inadvertently dropped it but why would they do that? They don't have much to begin with. Besides, this one looks worn in the gang fashion we see repeatedly on the television.

"Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be...gang members...." New twist on an old song. Right? Most definitely. What's sad is that I have friends whose children have been accused of "showing colors" at school. That is cutting way too close to home for me. I have contemplated the gang thing a little and it is some scary stuff. Stuff you see on television and would never dream that it would come to a city like this one. But it is here and it is REAL. One of those not in my town situations. Boy was I ever wrong. On the bright side, maybe it is not as bad as I would believe. Let's hope for small miracles, eh?

So we pile back into the car, saddened by our journey but prepared in a way for the next one. Lets close the door on this sad mini chapter and move on. No more misery here.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to see someone speak out about their community. Hopefully your new home will bring you a happier environment. Best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete