Friday, March 29, 2013

Aw, you done went and cursed that child. What did you do that for?

When I became pregnant with our middle son, we happily announced that we were going to name him after my father. Dad was always pretty funny when he was proud of something. He calmly remained seated in his recliner and stated: "Aw, you done went and cursed that child. What did you do that for?" He didn't even blink but continued to watch the car race on the television.
We did not realize how much truth that statement held but it becomes more and more apparent every day.
What made me really take this to heart was that, when dad passed, my mother gave me his year books and other stuff from his childhood. I knew that dad played basketball (DW loves basketball) and ran track (DW runs like he stole something!) What I did not expect is to open the senior year book and look at a basketball picture that was a dead ringer for my son. O.O What in the world! I kid you not. That faded, black and white picture was our DW from head to toe!
As he gets older, I also see similarities in the things that makes our baby tick that are strikingly so "Dad." It is really scary to watch this (Amazing child) strong young man turn into my father. Let's just hope that the bad habits of smoking 4 packs a day and an affinity for burbon are not on the agenda later on in life...
However, that is not all of the story. DW's middle name is Waddell. While I did not know Calvin's brother much, we named the middle name of our son after him. Well, from what I gather, that was a curse as well because the stories. Calvin has told me snippets of when they were growing up together, being besties and all. WOW. is all I can say because the behaviours there are just as striking as the similarities to my dad.
What have we done? We have created this AMAZING child that is going to be an AMAZING adult if we can get him on the right path right now. Yes, dear readers, my mother once told me that I will grow up and have children that are just as rotten as I was to her. While I do not believe our son is of the rotten sort, he is amazing.
You should see him dissect a video game. Yes, DISSECT! DW is not your average gamer. He is definitely a core gamer but of a different sort. He picks it apart pixel by pixel and takes days to get every square inch of the game figured out and taken care of. A little OCD? Maybe. A friend of mine once marveled at our DW when he was but a toddler and said "Watch him look at the TV! He looks at EVERYTHING on the screen. Not just the action! Wow!" Of course, you know I just thought he was watching TV but it totally engrossed him. His whole face is involved. I see that same look when he is playing Left for Dead or Gears of War or some other game that he has ruthlessly talked me into letting him play.
Yea, maybe it was a curse. However, his namesakes were amazing people too! I prefer to look at it as a gift from them to Calvin and me....by way of my mother's (curse) of course! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment