Sunday, March 31, 2013

I have a 3 digit IQ but you would never know it. Dangerous in da hood.

My dear husband does not understand the absolute hilarity I find in the show "The Big Bang Theory."  Just thinking about Sheldon and his BAZINGA makes me giggle.  Yet, I sit here in da hood and it goes to waste but for the random times when I use my "useless random trivia" that I fork out at people from time to time.

Yes, an education that costs me more than my house that I will certainly pay for until retirement.  What a waste it is.  Now that I think about it, that is really brilliant, huh?  Pay thousands and thousands of dollars for an education that has to yet rival that of Chinese children and then spend the rest of our lives paying for it.  Where is the aptitude in that?  Further, some of us even get an education that has oh......about 3 jobs in the outlook because we are told to go after what interests us in college.  There is no future in that is there?  No, we have to aspire to be the 16 year old kid that got lucky enough to create an app that sells for millions of dollars because of popularity.

There it is folks..........popularity.  That is what life boils down to, isn't it?  All through school, you are not accepted unless you are the poplular one.  Those geeks of us who are lucky enough to get into good colleges outside of the sports realm are still NOT popular.  Then, upon entering college, it is all about the soror houses and you have to show that you CAN be popular to get into those. Well, unless of course it is the "Geek" house.  Then, you are a member of the elite outcasts.  Once again, it lends itself to popularity.  Also, I found that if you are not of the athletic persuasion, you get no favors when it comes to grades but those that choose to be lazy (academically) get their grades handed to them with a silver plater. Thus, the popularity symplex.  Finally, when you get into the real world, you find that it is not all about your skills or your great resume that you worked tirelessly at no-pay internships where you learned all the valuable real world skills that you need in your new career, no, folks it is about who you know and what good people you are in cahoots with. Popularity.

I have found that, even in the digital world, it is popularity that takes precedence.  Ever been jealous upon joining a new social network of someone that has 6,000 friends to your measly 347?  Popular much?  What about this whole virtual "networking" thing?  Ever peered at a LinkedIn profile and been pissed off because someone has been endorsed time and again for things that they NEVER do?  Ayup.

The only thing that makes the exception to my theory of the popularity complex is LUCK.  Yes, that kid was lucky that he was POPULAR and created something cool that he and all his friends were hip to and then happened to be contacted by Google to buy his popularity.  Now he can not worry, so long as he plays his cards right.

Where is my luck in all of this?  Where is my popularity?  Sure, I have a few social networks in my pocket. Sure, I rant on FB (Ima Rant--you should check it out. Search mmiles@coastal.edu) I even have a blog and a LinkedIn profile.  I also have a HUGE student loan debt that I will never pay off and a three digit IQ.  Boy, I could blow the top off Harlem with the information I knew and the fact that I surely know where to take that info and cause a stir. However, that is a digression I will not take.  I choose to let people lead their popular lives and make popular (and unpopular) decisions on their own. Karma gets them there.  That is where the rest of us unpopular folk sit back in our swivel chairs, fold our hands behind our head, and go ahhhh.  Stupidity is not my forte.

Yes, I have a three digit IQ but you would never know it.  I have book smarts and if I were to ever acquire a three digit streetQ and even a two digit one in popularityQ I would be Dangerous in da hood. (Even more so than I already am.)

My name is Michele....and I am NOT popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment