Thursday, April 4, 2013

My own travels to the Dark Tower.

In the courts, it is all about who tells the best story. The juries believe the story tellers (the attorneys) who paint the most vibrant, believable tale.
I must have been about 13 or 14 when I first picked up the Gunslinger, by Stephen King. Never did I fathom that this story teller would take me on adventure that would take nearly 23 years to complete. Now that I am reading the final Dark Tower (VII) book, I have a certain melancholy feeling about me. I have come to love this story and its characters like a woman to her soap opera. Now that the tale is coming to an end, the sadness that I feel was similar to that of Roland the morning that Susannah went through the Artists door. They were so close to Roland's coveted Tower and now, just as the story begun, the Gunslinger enters the tower alone.
I was always told by literature experts that great stories go in a circle. Here is ours, sai Gunslinger. Another thing that enrages me but brings home thiat this story teller has successfully done his job is that the end leaves you begging, no PLEADING for more. While I have not yet red the part of Susannah in New York or what happens to Roland in the tower, I just KNOW I will be left wanting more. Just like a junkie wanting their next fix.
Yes, sai King, I do have The Wind Through the Keyhole, and while I have nearly all of your other tales, mere mention of Roland and his Ka-tet will not satisfy the thirst there is for the true story of the Gunslinger and his beloved Tower. His Darling.......
This is homage to you, sai storyteller. Thank you for this lovely tale. In my court, you have prevailed. I even cheer that the story is done because in an epilogue, you mentioned one sad little chained teddy bear that I know will now survive and go free, to search for his own tower. While I am considering taking the time to read the whole tale over again, I know it will not be the same as it was the first time.
Yes, I do truly understand, just as the artist Patrick Danville did as he drew and erased the Crimson King in the Dark Tower Vii......with vivid understanding as my eyes light up so approve.......

NOTE: This was a post to my Facebook blog that I posted last year. Yes, I did finish the book and yes, I was yearning for more. It was a marvellous ending!  I have also since found a map that shows the intricacies and how the world of Stephen King is just that....a world.  All of his books are tied together in some form or fashion and I absolutely revel in that fact!  Like this ending, I am still living my own journey to the Dark Tower.  What about you? Have you read these books or any of the Stephen King books?  What about your journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment