Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tsk, Tsk, shakes head in "no-erly" fashion

I understand that priorities of everyone are different.  They are as stark as opinions, style, even the way we walk.  However, I want to believe that respect should come in the same form no matter who you are.  I want to start my rant this morning talking about respect in general.  I know, I know, I said I would start with the suggestions but I have to give those time to build and I need to reflect a little. Ah, but I digress.
Back to my "concern" for the day.  I can conceive that people treat their own belongings, also, with a different type of care than the next person. I get it that you do not care that your grass is never mowed or that you simply toss your trash out the window instead of properly disposing of it when you get home. What I simply cannot understand is how do you believe it is up to you to destroy something that does not belong to you?  That is lacking in respect to the nth degree.  Why bring this up?  Wonderful that you asked.
I come outside this morning and note tire tracks ALL THE WAY in our yard and the tree that was planted in my fathers name nearly laying on the ground and the bark skinned off one side of it.  I was alarmed NOT because they took it upon themselves to use our yard to turn their car around, (because this is not something new) but because of the lack of respect that our yard was clearly not theirs.  Further, I also happen to believe it was someone who did not live on our street.
The adage goes that you never know a person until you walk a mile in their shoes. Well, obviously nobody knew the tree they ran over either.  I have a special attachment to this tree and it was planted in Dad's honor because it was HIS tree.  When he was living, this sad little thing began to grow at the end of his place of residence.  Whenever we could come by, next to that tree is where he stood when he was getting some air.  He even told Calvin not to mow it over one day when he went to cut the grass for Dad many years back.  Well, that sad little thing, wild as it was, took root and began to grow.  The ground around the outside of Dad and Mom's place is not the most root friendly so it grew slowly.  It was about 12 inches when dad passed.  But I believe he loved it none the less.
The year dad passed, I decided to uproot the tree and bring it here. We are planting our own roots here and it would be nice to look out the window and be reminded of one of the better people that this planet had the privilege of presence.  I brought it here and it flourished.  While it is still a slow grow, it is about 3 feet tall.  Instead of growing an inch a year, I believe it to have grown about 8-10 inches per year.  I love "my" tree.
Imagine my horror to see one of the things in the world that give me happy thoughts nearly destroyed by someone with a gross lack of respect.
So, dear friends, it may not matter to you BUT it matters to someone and imagine how you would feel if someone did something similar to you.  If more people thought about things like that, then, this would be a much better place to live. Don't you think?
Feel free to comment below:                **Cheers**

UPDATE:  Since this was written, I am happy to say that the little tree survived and is a happy three feet tall now.  No permanent damage. My belief is that dad came down and used his angel powers to touch the tree and heal it. You know how it is. Daddy's little girl always believes that their fathers have superpowers! Mine is just now an angel! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment