Saturday, January 24, 2015

Day 24: I am not an editor

When writing a paper in high school or college, they always tell you to go back over it and check for grammar mistakes, miss-spellings, and other things that just do not "flow."  In this modern age, spell check has made us lazy. Well, most of us anyway. I have never been one to "edit" my work. Aside from my books and novels, I rarely will edit anything. Since I have been blogging more, I do make a half-hearted effort to go back over and speed glance over my post before hitting publish. This is a vain attempt to find anything that may look like it is miss-spelled. I will say that my phone, from which I do most of my blogging from, does not have a spell check feature. Sometimes when I re-blog my own work between blogging sites, I see how horrible and stupid I must look. Those squiggly little red lines are every where. It makes me believe that is why this particular post did not get much attention on the other site or vice versa.

Were it not for the lovely folks that created Word or similar programs, I believe the half hearted effort I put into editing would probably be a little more sincere. Maybe....  Even in high school, I was not one for going back over my papers. I made C's and B's and once entering college, I could fork out a good B+ paper in a matter of minutes. (Speaking of which, I have one I need to be working on. See, even as a student, writers procrastinate the important stuff. Ugh....such it is that we are. But I digress.) I am certain if I honed my editing skills, I could be a straight A student and my stuff will likely flow a little better.

But computers have made me lazy. This is why I write my novels by hand first, then into my word doc and then I "edit" for pure sake of editing. I feel that editing is like hearing your own voice on a recording. For most people, it is uncomfortable to hear yourself talk from anothers perspective. I hate the sound of my own voice. I will put a vacation message on my phone and people can believe I am on vacation for years simply because I refuse to change it. My own voice coming from the speaker of my phone. Ick.

What do YOU think?

No comments:

Post a Comment